Attending an “evaluation” might sound intimidating. Not to worry! An evaluation at Pediatric Advanced Therapy (PAT) is a chance for our therapists to get to know your child better and assess their needs for potential therapy treatment. The therapist will complete observations and testing of your child through play-based activities, engaging your child in a way that is natural to them. Here’s more of what to expect during your first visit to PAT.
What to Expect: The Evaluation Process at Pediatric Advanced Therapy
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment with your paperwork completed.
- Our front office staff will discuss your insurance with you upon arrival if it has not already been discussed over the phone.
- Your evaluating therapist will review your paperwork and come to greet you in the lobby.
- Our staff will complete an initial evaluation for each potential therapy separately. If you have been recommended for or are interested in your child receiving multiple therapies, you will have multiple initial appointments (i.e. occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy and/or counseling).
During the Evaluation
- Parents are welcomed to come back into the treatment rooms during the evaluation to speak with the evaluating therapist .
- Please share your concerns for your child, medical and developmental history as well as challenges that occur within your daily routine. It is helpful to know how they do in a variety of settings as well, not just at home with you, i.e. school, play dates, etc.
- Please share any precautions or limitations your child may have with regard to physical movement, environmental or food allergies.
- The evaluating therapist will complete structured and unstructured clinical observations of your child’s movement patterns, sensory processing and age
- The evaluating therapist will most often provide questionnaires for you to complete during your time and at this point may ask you to fill these out in the lobby while they complete additional standardized testing in a small room at a table (where appropriate Parents are always welcome to stay for the duration if they prefer and with younger
children and infants. that is typical.
- At the end of the evaluation, your therapist will share with you deficits that have been noted and decide whether or not your child requires skilled therapy
- If therapy is required, it is best to discuss days and times with the office staff before you leave so that they can begin working to find you an appointment time.
- Before you leave, you will receive educational handouts about what to expect from treatment as well as basic information regarding your child’s specific difficulties.
- Your therapist will compile test scores and a written report with treatment goals.
- You can expect a report to be mailed to you within 2 weeks or sometimes it will be given to you at your next appointment.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call (704-799-6824) and ask prior to your appointment, or you can ask the evaluating therapist or office staff upon arrival. If you have yet to schedule your child’s evaluation, please request an appointment.
We look forward to working with you and your child to help them reach their full potential!
The PAT Staff