Our diverse staff includes experts in the important field of feeding therapy. Call today to set up an initial evaluation or for a free screening.
- At Pediatric Advanced Therapy, our occupational therapists are trained in working with children who have a variety of feeding challenges.
- We utilize the SOS (sequential oral sensory) approach to feeding, oral motor techniques, and sensory interventions into our treatments.
- Each child will have an individualized feeding plan based on his or her needs. Feeding treatment typically begins with sensorimotor activities that have an organizing effect which prepares the child for sensory and motor challenges of exploring new foods.
- This part of the session also gives the opportunity for the child and therapist to form a bond that is necessary for the child to trust the therapist.
- A therapy snack is designed specifically for that child to include a variety of foods presented in a hierarchy to promote success and smooth transitions from preferred foods to non-preferred foods.
- Our therapists are trained at observing and reading verbal and non-verbal cues of the child in order to grade presentation of foods and glide through steps to eating.
- Involvement of the child’s family is a vital part of success in treatment.
- Parents are given extensive information and instruction on how to carry over strategies at home so that their child can be a successful eater on a daily basis.